12.16.2008

In Which I Finally Figure Out This Whole "No Homo" Thing

When I first noticed TAN using "no homo" on his blog -- this is a while ago, now -- I assumed, based on my vague and unsubstantiated grasp of Latin from my Logic and Knowledge class, that this was some way of updating and articulating evasions of "ad hominem" attacks. Like, by saying "no homo", the TAN was actually saying "No Offense Meant" or "Don't Take It Personally" in reference to whomever he was talking about.

Gradually it came to my attention that No Homo was a bit more literally-meant than that. That using "no homo" just basically meant "no active homosexual connection or interest intended here"...which is, to my mind, pretty close to the objectification and misuse of the adjective "gay". Without getting much more heavy-handed, I'm gonna leave it to Jay Smooth at Ill Doctrine to explain it in ways that I never could.




See? So witty!

No comments: